Monday, April 16, 2012

Climbing out of the crib

Over the weekend it was clear that Greg was quite proficient at climbing in and out of his playpen in the family room. I say this because he saw a toy in there that he wanted, climbed in, handed it to me, and just as quickly hopped right back out to retrieve the toy.

Last night we packed up the playpen and discussed when he would climb out of his crib. He is quite the climber and we felt fortunate that he had yet to make that escape.

A few minutes after putting Greg down for his nap today, I heard a pounding. Sounded like a door. It was heard through the baby monitor... and the hallway. It was clear to me that Gregory had finally made a break from the crib. Sure enough I went up to his room and he was right behind the door.

I placed him back in bed, gave him some books for entertainment, and had a little discussion with him about staying in the crib. Minutes later it was clear once again that he had climbed out. This time I heard rustling of papers. I scurried up the stairs and found him standing on the edge of the changing table reaching for items on top of his dresser. Let me inform you that the changing table and his crib are on opposite walls. He learned to climb that changing table like a ladder a week or two ago!
Exhibit A
Plan B of books and a talk had failed. Plan C - put on a sleep sack on him, which may restrict his legs enough to impede his climbing. See exhibit B.
Exhibit B
Plan D - put a smaller-sized sleep sack on him. He still climbed out.

Plan E - I stood outside of his door and listened for him to begin his escape. Every time I opened the door and told him calmly to stay in his crib. After a few times he lied down and took his nap.

We are not going to jump to a toddler bed right away. We're hoping that we can convince him that it is a good idea to stay in the crib until Mommy or Daddy come to get him. He went to bed tonight with no issues. We'll see what happens in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment