Friday, February 18, 2011

Sleeping marathon, BEE-DOOP

Greg woke up at 6:25 AM this morning. Since he went to sleep at 4:45 PM yesterday, he slept almost 14 hours straight! Plus he went 15.5 hours without eating or drinking. (Yes, I did pump at bedtime.)

We heard him make a murmur or two in the evening, then I heard him at ~5:00 AM, but he would go right back to sleep. I think it really helped that the overnight low wasn't too cool. Otherwise he would have woken up cold since he was still wearing his short-sleeve shirt.

Even though Greg slept until 6:25 AM, my morning started a little earlier. At 5:31 AM, I awoke to a faint sound. BEE-DOOP. I knew exactly what it was - it's one of our cell phones chiming "Low Battery." The average person might think, no big deal, just recharge it in the morning. But the average person doesn't know Hank. The beagle is terrified of this particular beeping sound and will shake in fear at the first notion of it.

5:34 AM - BEE-DOOP. So there I lay in bed weighing my options. Do I:
A) ignore the beep for fear that I might wake up Greg on my way to turn off the phone, or
B) attempt to stealthily move through the house to find the cell phone so that Hank won't be a quivering mess of nerves by morning.

5:37 AM - BEE-DOOP. Then it hit me - if I don't go turn it off, Hank may start howling out of fear. Decision made. I sneaked down the stairs past Greg's wide-open door. Scout greeted me at the gate, tail wagging, with a bone in her mouth. I let her out the back door and noticed that Hank was still apparently sleeping, not affected by the beep at all.

I started looking for phones. Andrew's was in the same place that it always is - and it was shut off. Okay, so it's my phone. But where is it? I notoriously leave items in random places. Great. The clock said 5:41 AM. That's weird - I didn't hear a beep. Then it hit me - I left my phone up in the office, which is next to Greg's room. I retrieved the Labrador from the back yard and scurried upstairs to get to my phone before it woke up the baby. Mission accomplished.

I was so wired from the expedition that I was unable to get back to sleep before Greg finally woke up on his own. That's okay though, much better than waking up with him in the middle of the night!

No comments:

Post a Comment