Monday, March 14, 2011

CAUTION: Baby will bite!

For the last week or so, Greg has been biting us on the shoulders and arms, to the point of breaking skin and bruising me! I consulted Baby 411 to see if they had any answers. Lo and behold they had great advice (in my opinion) [page 279].
Q: My child is biting me. What do I do?
A: Don't bite back. And whatever you do, don't scream.
When babies are teething, they often start to gnaw on whatever is available. This may be a parent's shoulder or Mom's nipple (OUCH!). It's not malicious. But, if you respond dramatically, it will encourage your baby to bite again.
Your response: Take your baby off of your body and place him on the floor. Calmly and sternly say, "No biting." Do not pay attention to your baby for one minute. Your baby yearns for your attention so this is a good punishment. Lick your wounds later, out of sight of your baby.
It may take 20-30 times before your baby gets the message, but he will.
Hopefully this will work! He has some sharp chompers!

No comments:

Post a Comment