Friday, March 25, 2011

Travel preparations, plane ride, arrive at Memaw and Pop-pop's

Most of today was quite the blur for me. I was rushing around from the time that I woke up until we ran out the door to go to the airport. "Why do I always do this to myself?" I thought. "Why do I wait to pack until the last minute?" The more I thought about it though, it's not the packing that gets me. It's all of the other odds and ends - doing laundry so you can take certain items, paying bills, writing instructions for the pet sitter, feeding the baby, bathing the baby, etc, etc, etc. If all I needed to do was pack, I'd be golden.

We got to the airport with reasonable time to get situated. Going through security is always a mind-taxing process for me. Backpack, diaper bag, stroller, shoes, liquids, jackets/sweatshirts. Whew! Andrew had to go through one of the new scanners, but I didn't because I was holding Greg. We were able to take a sippy cup filled with water. The woman was very nice and explained that she needed to run a test on it. She simply held up a scanner of some sort to the top of cup - didn't need to open it or anything.

Our flight was on time, so we boarded at ~1:45 PM. I found a good seat for us and I could tell by the look of the woman behind us that she was not too pleased about the close proximity of a baby. At least two people looked like they were going to sit in our row, only to keep moving once they saw Greg. We call it "baby repellent" - our baby repels them!

By the time we took off, Greg was ~2 hours overdue for a nap. I was really hoping that he would settle down and sleep on the plane. Well, he did not. But he was a real trooper. He spent the whole flight in Andrew's lap. Greg stayed busy by smiling at the aforementioned woman behind us, playing with a new book, and taking puffs from me and feeding himself.

We landed after a little over an hour in the air and headed to baggage claim. We met up with Andrew's dad there. While waiting for the luggage, I noticed that another baby from the flight was starting to get fussy. We had met briefly while waiting for our strollers after the flight, so I pushed Greg over to say hello again. She stopped crying when she saw him. Crisis averted! The mother thanked me for stopping by.

Greg finally took a nap on the way home from the airport. We got to briefly see Andrew's paternal grandparents upon our arrival. Then we had empanadas for dinner. Delicious! Greg had his first store-bought versions of green beans and sweet potatoes. I truly do not have a problem with store-bought food, it certainly has its place, but it just isn't the same as homemade!

Greg had some good play time with Memaw and Pop-pop after dinner. He played with the music table, xylophone, books, and was introduced to the ball popper. He loved it!

They each read a book to Greg before sleepy time. After he was tucked into bed, Ron, Debbie, and Andrew went for a dip in the hot tub. The current outside temperature is 33 degrees. Elise doesn't participate in hot tub time in that kind of weather! Brr!

No comments:

Post a Comment